You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Richest Man In Walnut Grove


Since I was young I have been a HUGE fan of Little House on The Prairie. Both my sisters and cousin also loved the show and we spent hours watching them, crying, and talking about the characters as if they were are BFFs. When I was a teenager my mom got me the series on VHS for my birthday and it was so exciting to get one each month in the mail. Okay, I was like pushing 17! Today our family watches one each Sunday. Benny and I are always shocked to see Atticus burst out into tears at the end of some of the more touching ones. He is a softy like both of us, but it is nice to see that he gets the moral of the story and has some compassion at such a young age. Yesterday, while Dad was at the hospital and Cozy down for a nap, Atticus and I watched "The Richest Man In Walnut Grove". We were a mess at the end with tissues all over the place! I would have to say that this is probably my favorite episode! To see the family chip in to help PA who was out of a job during the bank crisis (recession, sound familiar?)was just beautiful! I think part of my desire to move to a small town was because I thought it would be as close as I could get to raising my family with the values and simple life the Ingalls had minus the outhouse, wagon,etc. I think one day I might even attempt at writing a book called, "Everything Good I learned from PA." Now that would be a fabulous bathroom reader!
Recap of Story

3 comments:

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

Do you have them on DVD? i wonder fi the library has them . . . hmmmm.

4lakedames said...

Bonnie~
you can get them at the library in renton on dvd, but you may have to wait on a list. enjoy them & cry a lot! perfect sunday afternoon thing! XO

Shannon said...

I only watched a few of the tv episodes, but LOVED the books. I packed the entire series in my suitcase every time we went out of town... even if it was just for the weekend!