You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, February 19, 2009

SO what, I'm sick!

The bad part about being sick when your a mom is well, life goes on. I don't remember feeling like this in a long time! Lumps the size of golf balls swimming in your neck, everything sounds like your underwater, herbal tea is the only source of nourishment, etc (sound familiar?). There is NO calling in to take a "sick day", staying in bed most the day or ringing bells for help!
I always think a good run will cure anything, but what happens when you can't even walk down the stairs!?
If I had my wish I would go back in time to when being sick meant getting rest and plenty of fluids. My mom would practically kill a chicken and make the best homemade chicken noodle soup. If you were lucky you spent the day with Grandma Lou and Grandpa Harold who understood that a straw was necessary for drinking, the remote control was yours, and the afgan was always tucked under your chin (no arms or feet out or for sure you'd get worse). OH, and who wouldn't get better after a tall glass of frothy orange juice (one thing my Grandpa made to perfection...the blender & toaster he got, the microwave & oven not so much).
A girl can dream of better times when she was sick and taken care of without asking. So, I will just moan a bit and look on the bright side~
"this too shall pass" and it is far better YOU than one of your kids sick, right?!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh, Haley, I am sorry... I don't make homemade chicken soup, or orange juice, and I don't have any afghans... how about if we have the kids over after school to play so you can nap? I will call you to see what we can set up.