You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mom gets an F, Son gets an A!

Last night I was extremely tired! Okay, more than the usual. I had one of those crazy days of trying to bite the elephant off in one bite. By the time Atticus was done with homework I was on the couch checking in with Katie Couric. Atticus had his rocket stuff all on the floor and I just watched trying to figure out what he was doing. He took a rocket class this summer at CVIS, but this was the first time I saw all the equipment. He started gluing with super glue which he knows from last summer, gluing his fingers together, that it's powerful stuff. I wasn't to worried about him super gluing. I also figured he didn't know where the matches were and was only tinkering with the rocket.....plus he is only 7, right? In the meantime Cozy wanted to do "her homework" so I went in the other room to help her write her name etc. Benny was running late from work and dinner ideas were non-existent. The next minute I heard the next door neighbors dog in our back yard barking and Atticus running to the door. I could smell fire. So, he did know how to launch the rocket and silly me it was done with a small fuse and didn't need any matches. Of course I ran out to one, make sure his face and fingers were intact and two, to look for the rocket hoping it wasn't setting the orchard on fire. I asked Atticus in a stern voice what he thought he was doing and he said,
"You put me in a rocket camp and I learned how to make a rocket!"
hmmm..."That I did and you get an A+!"
I got a little lecture from Benny over the phone that night and then we had pizza.

4 comments:

Sorensen said...

A day in the life of...

Shannon said...

HYSTERICAL. (but you made me cough from all the laughing!)

Natalie said...

Wow! Kind of scary. Cool that he was able to launch it - - glad that no one was hurt.

amelia said...

I love this story and I LOVE that this is not the last of Atticus and his experiments!