You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, September 5, 2011

Bittersweet

"By law children really don't have to go to school until age 7!" This goes through my head every year around this time. Especially after Benny gives the kids "Fathers Blessings" for a new year at school and I am left curled up in a ball sobbing. I guess I enjoy my summer too much and wish life was one Big Sunny Happy Party! (My time to live in MAUI has come!)
When we lived in Spokane while Benny did his OB fellowship (which was my fellowship in being a single parent) a mom in my neighborhood home schooled her two kids and really tried to get me in her club. I knew the love I had for Atticus was SO much that I would kill him if we spent the entire day together, so I decided to put him in school for the few months we were there. I remember her telling me that he didn't have to go until he was 7, that no one would come and drag him to school. The ideas of trips to art museums, water parks, and sleeping in went sweeping through my mind with some math and reading in there too. It was like I had just found out I had won something great! So I have kept that bit of knowledge tucked in my head...just in case. Don't get me wrong, it is BITTERSWEET, I do look forward to a good nap while the baby naps, running with only one in the stroller and no one lagging behind on foot, less fights, less messes, etc. BUT summer is over and with school means a bit of seriousness that I cant handle for too long!
This year I will send 2 ALL day and be home with 1. I feel for my friends that are sending their last child to kindergarten!
I will enjoy it I am sure, but right now it feels like I am looking for an exit!
(Photos of the kids first day to come soon!)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

But now you can have friends over to eat crepes! ;)