You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gilberto

This is the last week of my afters art program. I have to say it has been more work that I thought, but very rewarding. I have learned that I am not cut out to be a teacher... which I think I knew anyway (it takes a ton of energy and patience)! This group of kids, doing it the second time around, well lets just say I have had to warm up to them. It's hard enough keeping 1st through 3rd graders engaged let alone understanding Spanglish mixed with a lot of translation going on on the side lines. Is their even a word for Mode Podge in Spanish? I have learned to just laugh and move forward! Gilberto, the boy in the photo, likes to sing randomly in my class. He seems to sing kind of like a person with tourettes. It can startle you! I have encouraged it like I do with Atticus, but then it started to get old! I have no idea what he is singing because it is in Spanish. The other day I finally cracked and after asking him nicely to keep it down a bit I said in a firm voice," Gilberto, this is not a singing class....it's art!" Atticus laughed because he knows when mom is serious. Gilberto just gave me that puppy dog look and he has sung softer ever since. I am learning! Next adventure for me....girls on the run! for more info. on that go to www.girlsontherun.org

No comments: